Skip to main content

Round of 16 Fatigue

Consecutive nights of extra time, coupled with the natural build up of the TV viewer's equivalent of lactic acid have meant that I'm feeling slightly fatigued at the moment. Don't get me wrong, the football is just brilliant, but even I am looking forward to the 2 day break later in the week, and again on Sunday and Monday. The tournament catches me out like this every time with group stages and round of 16 both being massively intense; followed by a short break and all of a suddenly it is all over.

This second round has been brilliant. When I left you in the last blog post, Mexico were looking good and were robbed at the death by two late goals, first by Sneijder (with an absolute thunderbolt) and then a cajunas penalty from the greatest player who never reached proper fame, Jan-Klaas Hunterlaar. He is such a clinical and consistent centre forward - just gutted not to have seen him in the Premier League.

Costa Rica then played Greece and amazingly made the Quarter Finals, having held on with 10 men for quite some time. It was a cracking game after a slow first half.

Yesterday I saw France set up their QF berth, in a game where they looked lacklustre and could easily have lost; followed by another lunatic match; Germany vs Algeria, which was just carnage. Germany seem to have been infected by the illness of the tournament - poor defending, displaying none of the solidity you'd normally expect. Algeria were brilliant, pouring forward at every opportunity, but ultimately let Germany have too many chances and bowed out. The highlight of that match surely has to be Glen Hoddle referring to Algeria as "Al-Jazeera". Classic TV moment.

Tonight I am watching my nemesis Switzerland in a surprisingly even game. Argentina seem to not want to be there and if anything Switzerland have looked more likely. I'm not sure I can cope with them staying in the tournament any longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving late at the far post...........

Well, out from behind a rock I come. Like Batman responding to the spotlight over Gotham, the sight of Alexi Lalas relaxing on ESPN's swanky new World Cup set spouting 'knowledge' of the beautiful game immediately triggered me into action. A personal excitement for me is the returning punditry on this side of the pond of one Roberto Martinez. 4 years ago, I listened to this polite young man with light enthusiasm....now I find myself hanging onto every word from Bobby Brown Shoes. A supremely classy guy, just hoping for the "and Neymar is close to signing, which is phenonemal (Bobby's most used word - quite impressive for a Spanish native) " Sooo, what have I missed so far (Brazil own goal aside).... - Roy Hodgson in old man sunglasses - An amazing lack of planning from team England organizing a friendly in Florida at 5pm in June and being surprised as a thunderstorm - Scapegoating of a key England player (Rooney) before a ball is kicked in anger - Overplay

Never give up (unless you are Brazil)

I'm sat watching the world's most meaningless football match, the World Cup 3rd place playoff - two teams who just want to go home, forced instead to play out a dead rubber. Even the Community Shield had more meaning. This time around, however, we have the morbid excitement and voyeurism of watching Brazil's very public meltdown. They are an object lesson in falling apart once things start to go against them, like the Newcastle of international football. As things stand they are two goals down and there's no chance I'm switching off as they could easily fold and become a laughing stock, just as they could suddenly find form and claw things back. Tomorrow sees the final and a surprising amount of people rooting for Germany, probably because they look the best team by some margin. I'm gunning for Argentina (a) because I'd win £50 if they win (b) because I predicted on this blog that they'd win and (c) because I want to see Messi lift that trophy. He's

Are you not entertained?!

Blimey, Definitely did not think that my next post would be after watching a masterful English walloping of Panama, while soaking in a joyous heatwave in the motherland, making the grim north feel like the south of France.... the “Hope-ometer” reading is now almost at Italia 90 levels. Sure, the opposition was a team just happy to be there - evidenced by the wonderful reactions to their goal - but quite the rarity to see an England team dispatch a minnow as professionally as they did. There are still cautious tones to be heard. Harry can’t finish off his hat-tricks by simply getting in the way every game, and channeling my inner Gareth, I refuse to get too carried away just yet. I am extremely intrigued on how loose Mr Southgate is going to get by the end of the tournament. Right now, he continues to persist with the waistcoat like a best man who has been told to hold it together as there’s still some official photos to be taken. I’m starting to visualize a July evening in Moscow w